Box Van in a Box

At a recent Beds and Buck Narrow Gauge Meeting David Gander kindly gave me an unmade kit of a Unit Models O9 Box Van.

I was very pleased for several reasons. Mostly, because it’s a very kind gift (thanks David!). Also, Unit Models is passing to a new owner and these kits are hard to find at the moment. Finally, it’s a nice model, with crisp moldings and the style fits in well with the O9 wagons I’ve been scratch building.

It would be really easy to make the kit but I wondered if I could add a bit more detail to the body.

I have a pack of Grandt Line 32 thou diameter rivets I haven’t used. I thought these would look good on the iron work of the box van. 32 thou is roughly 1.4 inches in 7mm scale which seems about right.

The rivets come with a plastic shank that can be fitted into a 0.4mm diameter hole in the model. This helps anchor the rivet in place.

One rivet equals one hole, so I set about marking out and drilling 64 holes in the body. It was a good test of how accurately I can mark out and drill. I made a cardboard template to help position the holes.

The final effect looks good – but it took ages to do!

Surprise! Moving O9 Models

A little while ago mrfagsy asked if I could post a video of my stock. I don’t take a lot of videos but here you are mrfagsy, this is especially for you. (Click on the image to start the show).

The stars of this Hollwood extravaganza are my ‘test track’ and all of my O9 stock.

The ‘test track’ is a scrap of plywood salvaged from a skip with some set track brought from ebay.

The loco is an A1 Models O9 brass kit, with a kato mechanism, plasticard chassis and axle boxes built from 2mm diameter bolts and odd bits of plastic.

The wagons are scratchbuilt from plasticard and run on Peco N gauge wagon chassis. I use Greenwich couplings.

Not much more I can say, except, I hope the camera movement doesn’t make you feel sea sick!

Three New O9 Wagons

… and the wagons are brown. Humbrol German Camouflage (160) to be precise.

I do like the colour. In fact, I got so excited by the warm, red-brown I forgot to photograph them before I weathered them!

All three wagons are the same colour. One appears to be lighter because it has received less weathering with Citadel ‘Stirland Mud’ and a bit more Citadel ‘Ulthuan Grey’.

If you are interested you can follow how I made them here (you’ll need to scroll down the page…).

Meet ‘arry the ‘unslet

The A1 Models Hunslet has progressed through the workshop and the engineering team tell me she’s finished. This is the first O9 loco, and the first brass kit, to come from the workshops.

The paint work is complete, the loco’s been weathered and the windows have been added.

When I look at the close up photos I see the windows have scratches and marks on them. This wasn’t intentional, but perhaps it makes the loco look more prototypical…

Eagle eyed readers may think this a “driverless loco”. Google haven’t invaded O9 modelling yet! I am recruiting a driver at the moment. Applications from experienced 7mm scale diesel drivers are most welcome. All applicants must be able to fit in the cab!

Obviously, the loco’s correct name is Harry. However, this Hunslet was built in Essex so it is known as ‘arry the ‘unslet.

The Hunslet Moves Forward

Work on the Hunslet is progressing and it has visited the paint shop.

The components were stuck together and held in place while the glue dried. I never thought a locomotive could look sorry for itself until I saw this one wrapped in elastic bands.

There was a small gap between the front of the body and the footplate that I filled with filler.

After a little sanding and repainting, it looked a lot better.

Now I need to repaint the footplate and frames, then I can varnish the Hunslet. Things are moving forward… slowly.

Paint Your (Flat) Wagon

I have (finally) painted the flat wagons I built in January this year. Last time they were on the blog they were bear plasticard.

I like painting on lots of different layers. It’s really easy to do with acrylic paints and leads to some nice effects. Perhaps I’m over complicating things but here’s what I did:

  1. Primer Citadel Coraz White (light Grey)
  2. Paint chassis Humbrol Dirty Black mixed with a small amount Citadel Ulthuan Grey
  3. Rough coat of Citadel Zandri dust – semi dry brush of top, wet brush underneath
  4. Touch up black on chassis
  5. Wash of dilute Humbrol Dirty Black
  6. Dry brush chassis and wagon in Citadel Ulthuan Grey
  7. Dry brush chassis and  wagon Citadel Zandi Dust
  8. Dry brush chassis and  wagon Citadel Steel Legion Drag
  9. Dry brush chassis with rust mix (Citadel XV88 mixed with small amount of Citadel Dunbar Brown)
  10. Wash with dilute Humbrol Dirty Black – three times

I rather like the end result.

Single Plank O9 Wagons

The scratch building of O9 wagons continues. The latest wagons to be completed are this pair of single plank wagons.

The construction was essentially the same as the open wagon I made. The fake sole bars, floor, sides, hinges and rivet details were made from plastic card and rod. The main difference is these wagons are built on the Peco N Gauge 15ft Wagon Chassis (NR122) and are slightly longer than the open wagon.

The two wagons were made to resemble one another, with small differences. The one on the right is slightly longer (52mm compared to 48mm), has more hinges on the side planks and has shorter end stanchions.

I designed the wagons so they would accommodate the Skytrex Model Railways O scale packing cases and crates. This has worked out well and the loads look good in the wagons.

Both wagons are painted in manufacturer’s photographic grey (also known as primer 🙂 ) because I still haven’t decided what colour to paint my O9 stock !